Every work day has meaning. Every work day makes a difference.
What firefighters do
There is a diverse range of roles available to firefighters, with great opportunities for specialisation and career progression.
Emergency response activities may include:
- Suppression of all types of fires
- Emergency medical response (EMR)
- Search and rescue
- High angle rescue
- Road accident rescue
- Marine response
- Industrial accidents and hazardous material handling and storage incidents
- Assisting other agencies in emergencies
- Fire investigation analysis
Community resilience activities may include:
- Educating the community about fire safety
- Working with diverse community groups, across all age groups, to promote emergency prevention and preparedness activities through a variety of community resilience programs.
Other activities may include:
- Training - skills maintenance and acquisition
- Maintenance of equipment
- Involvement in exercises with the public through evacuation drills
- Participation in joint emergency training exercises (Victoria Police, Ambulance Victoria, Forest Fire Management and SES)
- Building inspections
- Checking water supplies
- Cleaning vehicles and maintenance of fire station
FRV does not recommend or endorse the use of external providers or individuals selling recruitment services, or those claiming association with the FRV firefighter recruitment selection process. Nor does FRV endorse the payment of such services. Furthermore, FRV is not represented or affiliated with any providers, services or individuals who claim to have associations with FRV or the firefighter recruitment department.