Fitness & Physical Aptitude Test (PAT)
Firefighting can be physically demanding, involving actions including dragging hoses, climbing ladders and lugging equipment. As such, you will need an appropriate level of strength, aerobic fitness and endurance to be successful in the selection process, and on the job.
As part of the application process, you will be required to do a ‘Shuttle Run’ and a Physical Aptitude Test (the PAT).
It is essential applicants are prepared for these tests.
Below you can access information on the PAT, with video demonstrations.
Potential applicants can also access suggested fitness plans for people with an established level of fitness to help prepare for the PAT.
The accompanying videos show best practice technique.
For the fitness exercise schedule, click here.
Physical Aptitude Test videos
- Aptitude Task 1: 9m Ladder Climb (and step on/off)
- Aptitude Task 2: Ladder Platform Climb (20m)
- Aptitude Task 3: Tunnel Crawl
- Firefighting Task 1: 9m Ladder Raise/Lower
- Firefighting Task 2: 9m Ladder Extension
- Firefighting Task 3: Stair Climb with High Rise Pack
- Firefighting Task 4: Container Haul
- Firefighting Task 5: Visual Recognition Test
- Firefighting Task 6: Chain Cutting and Descend to Ground
- Firefighting Task 7: High Pressure Hose Advance and Pull
- Firefighting Task 8: Equipment Lift and Carry
- Firefighting Task 9: 50mm Hose Advance
- Firefighting Task 10: Coupling Assembly
- Firefighting Task 11: Casualty Rescue